Higher Talent is currently seeking dynamic candidates for the position of Executive Director for our client, Historic Sites Association of Newfoundland and Labrador (HSA).
Who We Are:
The Historic Sites Association of Newfoundland and Labrador (HSA) is a leading not-for-profit organization recognized for its social enterprise, historical outreach, and support of economic development throughout Newfoundland and Labrador. Led by an engaged volunteer Board of Directors and committed staff, the HSA works closely with Parks Canada and other strategic partners throughout the province.
The HSA seeks an innovative business professional with experience in retail, strategic partnerships, and/or cultural and craft industries to lead, under the oversight of the Board, a lean management team operating our Heritage Stores from three locations in St. John’s, six seasonal locations in National Historic Sites in Newfoundland and Labrador, and our emerging online store.
At 40 years of age, the HSA has an enviable record of consistently strong retail sales generating profits that are reinvested in our National Historic Sites and communities through historical outreach projects, awards and grants, enabling us to fulfill our mandate of presenting the history and heritage of the province.
We now seek to reinvigorate our retail and online operations and social media presence, strengthen our strategic partnerships, and forge new relationships with established and emerging artisans and artists in the province.
The successful candidate will be expected to provide strategic advice and support to the Board and be the principal liaison with our valued partners, while overseeing a widespread retail operation subject to the vagaries of tourism and demands of seasonal employment.
This is an exceptional opportunity for a savvy professional with five or more years relevant experience seeking challenging and rewarding work in a dynamic environment, and the opportunity to contribute to the culture and heritage of Newfoundland and Labrador.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will be responsible to:
- Ensure the promotion and achievement of the goals and objects of the organization as outlined in the HSA’s Strategic Plan
- Oversee senior management, including Retail Operations Manager and Finance Officer
- Provide strategic advice to the Board of Directors
- Support the Board including organization of meetings and preparation of minutes
- Collaborate with the Treasurer to ensure a high level of financial oversight and control of finances
- Liaise with Parks Canada’s senior management on prospective and approved proposals for National Historic Sites
- Prepare proposals for funding by government and Crown agencies
- Liaise with government departments and Crown agencies that provide funding to heritage and cultural organizations
- Evaluate and recommend proposals for funding of projects by the HSA
- Monitor project development and compliance with conditions of funding and direct, oversee and support consultants and contractors retained by the HSA
- Strengthen and nurture the HSA’s relationships with local artists and craft persons for the purposes of promoting their work in the HSA’s retail outlets
Our Ideal Candidate:
- Relevant post-secondary education (e.g., Business, Retail, Marketing) and minimum of five years related work experience
- High levels of professionalism, self-motivation, and time management
- Exceptional communication (written and oral) and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work effectively with the Board, senior management, partners, and outside agencies to ensure projects are advanced on schedule to the highest standard
- Experience with social media platforms
- Commitment to Newfoundland and Labrador history and heritage
Our Work Environment:
- We offer a competitive total compensation package including contribution to RRSP, health care allowance, vacation, and holidays.
- The position is full time (40 hours per week) based out of HSA’s office in St. John’s, NL. While the hours may vary depending on the requirement of work, they will typically be from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday to Friday.
If you are an innovative business professional leader and are prepared to meet the challenges as outlined, apply in strictest confidence today!
For more information, please reach out to:
Christine Phillips | Senior HR Consultant & Executive Recruiter | email@example.com
Higher Talent | https://highertalent.ca/
We embrace diversity. Individuals that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills are encouraged to apply. Applicants considered for the position will be subject to a background check. This opportunity is only available for candidates legally entitled to work in Canada. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those candidates being considered for an interview will be contacted.